COVID19 - Housing and Loans





Evictions are also suspended indefinitely. Housing Court will also be closed indefinitely, except for emergency cases (such as illegal lock-out, post eviction, emergency repair cases). People with emergencies should call the court, or the Housing Court Answers hotline: (212) 962-4795. NYCHA hearings are also cancelled.  Tenants will receive a postcard with a new date to go to court. The nonprofit Housing Court Answers operates a hotline that will still be open Monday though Friday 9am to 5pm. Any folks with questions about court or evictions can call (212) 962-4795 for more information. Visit their website for new information:


NYCHA encourages households experiencing a loss of income to access our rent hardship program. You may qualify for a rent reduction if all the following conditions are met:

• There is at least a 5% reduction to gross income

• Current rent is more than 30% of the net household income

• Reduction in income has lasted at least two months. 


Residents can request a rent reduction by completing an Interim Recertification via the NYCHA Self-Service Portal or by calling their Property Management Office to request a paper form be mailed to your home. If your household experiences a complete loss of income, you may qualify for NYCHA’s Zero Income Policy; please call your property management office to participate in the required eligibility interview.  As a reminder, public housing residents have eight ways to pay rent, including via mail, MyNYCHA, online, at an authorized bank or credit union, by phone, and more. Visit to learn more. If you have any NYCHA questions or concerns, please call 718-707-7771. 


NYCHA residents that experience a loss of income may qualify for a rent reduction. Households that have experienced a complete income loss may qualify for the Zero Income Policy.

  • Agency: Human Resources Administration
  • Phone Number: 718-557-1399
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person.

Loans & Financial Assistance

hebrew free loan society

Financial Assistance


Cash Assistance

  • If your work schedule was reduced as a result of the coronavirus and you are unable to pay your rent, you can apply for a Cash Assistance special grant request to get benefits for emergencies.If you have an active Cash Assistance case, visit ACCESS HRA
  • Visit ACCESS HRA to apply for cash assistance
  • Visit HRA Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) to apply for the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) grant
  • Call New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS)at 212-669-6100, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm; Emergency “life safety” financial assistance for under-resourced households with a direct impact.


Financial Assistance for Small Businesses


Paid Sick Leave

Under the law, covered employees have the right to use safe and sick leave for the care and treatment of themselves or a family member. To learn more, visit the Paid Safe and Sick Leave page.


Small Business Relief Loan Fund

Renaissance Economic Development Corporation, an affiliate of Asian Americans for Equality, just announced its Emergency Small Business Relief Loan Fund to help the many independent neighborhood businesses imperiled by COVID-19. Learn more (or apply) at:

English -

Chinese -

Korean -

Spanish -