COVID19 Tech Support
- To keep students connected and able to learn from home, the DOE is lending 300,000 internet-enabled iPads to students. Families that want to request a device should fill out the Remote Learning Device Request form.
- Teachers and school staff should use this same form to request devices on behalf of their students.
- A full list of details and updates can be found here: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learn-at-home/ipad-distribution
How to get ready for Zoom!
Before your first Zoom class:
- Visit Zoom.us and click “Sign up- it’s free!” on the upper right-hand corner.
- Make sure you press “Sign in with Google” and use your HSES envirostudies.org email to create an account.
- Make sure to download the Zoom application on your computer for notifications and calendar integration. Find different Zoom options here.
- As a backup, install the Zoom app on a different device, such as your phone (Available for iOS and Android via the App Store/Play Store) or tablet.
- Check out tutorials on Zoom to help you get started.
- Test out Zoom with your family and/or friends!
Getting ready for your Zoom class (day of):
- Dress appropriately.
- If possible, try to find a space that will keep you focused.
- Set up your materials next to your device (you may need paper and pen or a notebook when you are online or working in Google Classroom).
- Be on time- make sure you have the Personal Meeting ID and/or the link to the Zoom session ready 5 minutes before the start of class.
While on Zoom (class time):
- Make sure that you have your Window opened to the Zoom session.
- Remain muted during the lesson unless called on.
- Show your face on the camera in a respectful manner.
- Do not use virtual backgrounds.
- If you want to speak, either click the little hand sign (if you click on Participants, you will see this option) or raise your actual hand.
- Only write comments or questions in the chat that have to do with the lesson.
- Only post reactions when it is appropriate.
- If applicable, post your nonverbal feedback (if you click on Participants, you will see this option).
- Wait for the teacher to end the Zoom session.
After your Zoom class:
- Try your hardest to complete homework (if you do not have a printer you can write the answers on paper).
- Make sure to check Google Classroom for any updates on lessons and assignments.
- Always refer back to the https://tinyurl.com/HSES-COVID19-InfoHub
If there is a Technology related issue with an HSES loaned Device, Fill out the form here (or the form below)
- Your Request will be processed within 24 hours of submission.